Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Here

Welcome my child
The words I await to whisper over the months of dreaming about your face
And here I lay, legs spread wide, cursing the man who loves you just as much as I do
Invasion of privacy, temptations of a miraculous needle that would allow me to relax and enjoy the ride
I deny that temptation, and feel the tug and pull and yank of a squirmy something
Breathe in, breathe out, out and out. Breathe in, breathe out, out and out
Count to ten, heave ho!
I love you my child, I squish my eyes as tight as they’ll go and picture yours
Whirs of machines and voices and how are you honey’s from the man who loves you just as much as I do
Count to ten, heave ho! Breathe in, breathe out, out and out.
Selflessness, undying devotion, unbelievable emotion and unbearable pain
Legs spread wider than humanly possible, freshly cut nails digging ten red moons into nearby flesh
Count to ten, heave ho! Breathe in, breathe...oh my God!
The stretch and pull of my skin as it hugs the delicate contours of your head
All hands on deck, tug and shift and heave and push
One more! Count to ten, really heave ho!
The unmistakable woosh of a slippery body breaking free of a soft, warm bed
Suck and wipe and rub. First breath of life
Skin to skin, heart to heart. I love you I love you I love you
Welcome my child

No comments:

Post a Comment